Sunday, June 13, 2010

Quote of the Day

Tonight I opted out of a post-work burger (thanks for the invite, Mark) and went instead to a young adults Bible study. There were some people there I needed to reconnect with now that I'm back from vacation. I walked in late, but I heard the leader talking about how important it is for us to have a heart that is tender and fruitful to the things of God; a heart like cultivated soil.

It's funny, but it brings to mind an experience I had while I went to visit Minnesota last week.

My parents have a big garden. It is full of thick, nutrient-rich, potting soil-grade black dirt. One day during my visit I got the privilege of tilling the garden. I was all too eager to do it, because as soon as the tiller did its thing I got to walk behind, barefoot, through the soft, warm, moist soil. If you haven't experienced this before, I suggest you do before you die. At least buy a bag of potting soil and stick your feet in it, if you don't have any black dirt of your own.

Anyway, that is the picture I get when I think of a cultivated heart. As I look at my own heart, I think that it has more resembled the dirt you'd see after it parched in the sun for a couple of months. But I know that God has a sweet tiller, and I believe there are some plants to grow.

So finally the quote, since I promised it at the outset. When we closed the night with prayer, one of the men in my group said:

"Are we the bride of Christ, or a fickle, fickle girlfriend that hardly ever gives him the time of day?"

Selah

No comments: