Thursday, June 25, 2009

10 out of 10

People die. That is a statistic you can bank on. Today two celebrities died and the national media let us all know about it as soon as possible.

50 year-old men have heart attacks. In fact, two middle-aged men who go to my church had heart attacks last year (both of them survived, thankfully). And 62-year-old women get cancer. These are plain and simple facts of life.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to minimize the lives of anyone, but it is interesting how we react when those who are never supposed to die, do. After all, these were not just people to our culture; they were practically divinity living among us.

So now the focus pans across their careers and lives; over the contributions they left behind. It begs the question also for you and me. What kinds of things will people remember about me when I die? Will I have a hair-do that influences a generation? Will I revolutionize the music world? Will I change my skin color?

Sometimes we stop and think about these questions. But more often than not, we soon forget about it and resume our fixation upon the silver screen immortals in front of us.

No comments: