Monday, October 12, 2009

Materialism in the Positive and Negative

Today I was referred to an article by a friend of mine. It talks about the concept of minimalism. That is, approaching life with the mentality of what can I live without? This is something that I have gotten some good-hearted ribbing about from my friends before, and I admit that I am a minimalist. But not to the point of obsession.

Enter Tumbleweed Tiny House Company. The founder of this proudly lives in a house that is about 89 square feet total. He seems to be motivated by his desire to protect the environment, and to live a life as different from the American norm as possible. I will admit, in an affluent suburban culture swelling with mansions, I can understand this sentiment (although the state of the environment concerns me little). The problem this Tumbeweed guy has is that he can't really get a family going in a house that size. Nor can he have more than one person (or two skinny ones) at a time come to visit. This is the point, I think, when minimalism reaches the end of common sense.

What is more important, having as much or as little as possible, or having quality relationships? When a person can't spend time with another because of having too many things, it's a problem. When a person can't spend time with another because of an obsession with having little, it's also a problem. Life is about relationships.

(Continental Divide)

I love to travel remote locations with as little gear as possible. I like that I can fit almost all my possessions in my car. It is a freeing thing. (If you are wondering about getting rid of useless junk, I would encourage you to do so.) But I know that life has a way of changing things. Lord willing, I will have a wife and family someday. Realistically, more stuff will come along with that.

The real important thing is how much priority our things get compared to relationships. When all our stuff (minimalist or not) is gone, what will be left? What really lasts? Relationships last.

(Ma Mason & I)

By all means, get what you need and few things you want. Just don't hold onto your stuff too tightly. Let's take time for the important things.

No comments: